So this post is about to become pointless, but sometimes I can't help myself. For the curious who wonder what kind of thoughts spend their time circulating through the mind of McKelle, here is the thought that I fell asleep to two nights ago.
There are a lot of movies that have that one awful scene, or that one obnoxious character that make it so a movie I would love otherwise I suddenly do not. But I have a perhaps more peculiar issue with Sleepless in Seattle. Oh it's a movie I've always liked pretty well (although watching it recently I had to think Whoa, Meg Ryan's character is really rather creepy: spying on him, sending a private investigator, snooping through a backpack left behind...yep she sounds like the perfect match for any guy, but hey, she can peel an apple in one long curly strip). Well before I was able to realize the scary stalker nature of the romance I had my other qualm. The allergies.
Whenever a movie has one character choosing one good guy over another good guy they always try to include some details to make sure the audience doesn't feel too bad for the other guy. Either he finds somebody else too, or in this case he has a quirk that almost justifies it. Poor old Walter has allergies. I remember watching this movie when I was in middle school and in the scene where she is passing him tissues and he's sneezing and whoa baby has this man got allergy problems, but all I thought was uh-oh, that's gonna be me.
When I was a little girl people often commented on my cute dainty sneezes. Little did they understand that that daintiness was the result of suppressing sneezes and the awkward quirky destiny they seemed to move toward. There was a boy in my middle school who had no sense of the social awkwardness of sneezing. He'd walk to the front of class, grab a kleenex and blow so that whole quarter of the building could hear. He was either oblivious to the grossed out sneers around him, or he'd grown up much quicker than the rest of us and wasn't haunted by visions of Walter in Sleepless in Seattle.
These days I finally let myself sneeze a bit less suppressed. But I look over at the kleenex box beside my bed and think well, at least I won't set up a humidifier, and we had strawberries at our reception, I'm not that bad.
Luckily for me, my dear Trustin who has never had bad allergies, married me and got them! So he can hardly hate this allergetic woman, for he's sneezing right beside me. Oh blessed day!
McKelle all this time and I never knew the story behind your mouse sneezes! I am so glad that you are not suppressing your sneezes so much too, I was always a little afraid that you'd cause some injury to your delicate inner-nose workings one day.
ReplyDelete