So I was going to do a quick catch up blog but I realized that we have practically zero new pictures. Trustin's new phone has a decent camera, which is nice except that I never remember to download the pictures off it. So our catch up post will have to wait. I will say for those who I haven't spoken to, our baby girl has a name!
Ashlynn Kaydean Anderson (
A.K.A. our daughter, or as Trustin and Grandpa like to say AK47). We are naming her after her two grandpas who we love and admire so much. For today I decided to share the joy of "The Bradley Method." So I have decided that I would like to try natural childbirth with Ashlynn. I am telling myself that the plan is to try natural but to not be disappointed if I don't succeed (but we'll see how that goes). With Zeke I thought that maybe we would try natural but I naively went into it without any preparation whatsoever. I had a friend who said it is super easy I believe her description was "It is just like a really really hard workout, but the secret is just relax." I like working out and relaxing that sounds pretty easy. Apparently I wasn't used to "working out" my uterus in the hardest work out ever, and relaxing on cue....not so easy. So we want to prepare a bit better this time. We don't like any of the methods out there. We decided to go with The Bradley Method because I like the idea of "husband coached childbirth" and having Trustin totally helping me along the way. However, reading this book is totally hilarious and you definately can't class us among the avid Bradley promoters. We are taking what we like and laughing at the rest. The title of this post "Medicated Maniacs Make Miserable Mothers" is practically a quote from the book and I'm pretty sure this is the overall message. It is so ANTI medicine and never mentions medicated childbirth without included words like "maniac" "zombie" or "miserable." According to the Bradley Method "Bradley mothers" are laughing and walking and joking and loving their baby while medicated maniacs are resentful, tired, poor mothers. Hmm... Here are a couple of my favorite lines
- "Women have babies; that's their job" (Hmm Mr. Bradley, I guess you can get away with that because you practiced in the 20s)
- "The placenta is a magical organ" "What's the main physical difference between these animals(cats, dogs, horses, and cows) and your wife? Somebody taught your wife at a very early again to walk on her hind legs, that's what" (are you kidding me? is he really trying to say that we are meant to be quadrapeds but some silly person taught us to walk?!)
- Speaking about women who get epidurals and other medications during childbirth "Would they let their kindergartner have similar narcotics?"
- "we have found by actual esperience that there is a 'background music' that beats all others and there is no substitute for it. It is th familiar, beloved voice of a husband, a lover, gently, softly, endearingly whishpering in his sweetheart's ear that same line of love gobbledygook" (gotta love love gobbledygook!!)
So maybe these are only funny to Trustin and I as we've been reading them, but I hope you have enjoyed them too.
Those quotes made me laugh too. I'm excited to hear how you like the Bradley method.
ReplyDeleteAnd I think the name you picked out is beautiful. I loved that it's after your grandpas! That will be so meaningful for her.
Loved the quotes...made me laugh!!
ReplyDeleteHere's another choice quote from what we read last night:
ReplyDelete"For years we have fussed at women to do abdominal exercises to draw their waistlines in after the pregnancy is over. It is obvious from a block away if they don't"
ouch